Atracții turistice - - “Precista“ Church

DSC_0311

The “Precista” Church in Târgu Ocna (1662; 1860) has as patron the “Assumption of the Virgin Mary” and was first built in 1683 (in 1662, according to other sources) and then rebuilt and extended in 1860, according to the rotive above the narthex entrance door. Today’s church, rebuilt between 1859 and 1860, is made of bricks and sculpted stone, and the costs were borne by the monastery, from its own income sources.
The inside of the church is clubs-shaped, whereas the outside is shaped as a Greek cross, with arches and consoles on which the main tower rests.
Its architecture is very well proportioned and its iconostasis is extremely imposing, as it was painted by D. Petrescu. Today’s church was renovated in 1914, 1934, 1968 and 1982.

A rotive in Greek exists in the porch of the current church, with the following content:
“This church, Precista Monastery, first created by God and erected by the boyar Gheorghe Ursache and by his last will dedicated to the holy monastery Ivirul of Mount Athos, which, in time, being damaged and on the verge of collapsing, was rebuilt and extended at the expense and under the supervision of very pious archimandrite and superior monk Damaschin Ivirit, in 1860, by the help of God.”

 

Worship: Orthodox
Patron: Assumption of the Virgin Mary
Address: strada Costache Negri F5B, Târgu Ocna

Visiting hours: The worship monuments may be visited at any time between 8 am and 8 pm.

Cordonate GPS:
Latitudine: 46° 16' 48" N
Longitudine: 26° 36' 31" E